No announcement yet.

Reloading in Quake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be a nice modern feature for Quake. Sure.. why not!

Comment

We won't know until someone implements it.

Weapon animations needed, I guess.

You could make the clip size relatively big, for weapons that have clips.

Obviously the super shotgun, grenade and rocket launcher would have to reload after each shot. That would probably mean the rocket launcher isn't the über-powerful weapon anymore. That role would go to the shaft, I guess, since it would need less reloading and thus could put out more damage per second.

The RL would be slower because of the reloading animation, but it would still have the advantage of splash damage which the shaft doesn't have. You could still do a combo where you shoot one rocket, then air-shaft the other guy, then reload the rocket launcher.

In other words, the necessity to reload the rocket launcher would impact skilled players relatively little. It would just put a stop to rocket spamming.
      Scout's Journey
      Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Reloading is exactly what frustrates the hell out of me in TF2, that is.. if you approach it with a Quake mind-set. Once you slow down it get's less annoying but still, I usually end up feeling a sigh of relief when I return to Quake. Just being able to shoot whenever I want, not having to hit the fire button 3 times before it actually fires.. at the wrong time..

Edit:
        (Oops, I didn't notice there was another page of comments, before I replied)

Comment

peg: have you played Malice, and do you think it is destroyed by reloading?

Speed in Malice is practically comparable to Quake + it does have reloading.

To me, running out of ammo in a fight and having to reload without getting killed adds another layer of challenge. You have to be able to reload in a fight while dodging the monsters, which requires skill. This also increases the time to live of the monsters, without making them harder to kill, so that fiend might get another attack in before it's killed.

It's similar to running out of shells and having to axe a shambler - is that bad? Should we have unlimited ammo in Quake?

There are other straightforward shooters that have reloading, and in my personal opinion it didn't hurt them.

YMMV.
          Scout's Journey
          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

totally agree with golden_boy, reloading adds another layre of challenge, it can make a game harder cuz of not being able to just hold the trigger, but it doesnt break gameplay too imo.

the dukeplus mod for duke3d also adds reloading, and it doesnt destroy the gameplay at all, it only makes it cooler and adds more difficulty cuz of having to quickly hide when you have to reload, and the enemy having a chance to attach back while you're reloading.

would love to see reloading added to quake, but it would not only require a coder but also an animator, cuz all weapons would need new animations for reloading, as well as all the hi-poly weapons would have to be updated too to have reloading anims added

but hope someone takes the time to add it, would be real cool and add another layer of difficulty cuz you wont be able to just hold the trigger all the time, and have to think more about shooting
            are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
            > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
            everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

2 words. Brutal Doom. That mod has reloading, and it's a bit faster then regular doom.

Reloading is a pretty good gameplay mechanic, because it adds a small layer of depth to the game, for deciding what time you have to reload instead of just shooting until it runs out and such. Plus you don't need reloading for every weapon - like the super nailgun is a kind of chaingun-type weapon. Just have a belt of nails.

You could offset this by making the NG a bit more powerful maybe.

Comment

Working...
              X