1-800-IDGAMES? Registration? I'm lost.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
    Dudes. If you have the CD version, and installed both pak0.pak and pak1.pak, you don't have those problems.

Have the decency and use Google at least
    My daughters mentality :It's simply easier if you do it for me. haha, wtf.
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I miss my quake CD,

I still have Quake1 in a nice little ZIP file

24MB of zipped pure nostalgia ready to go.
      QuakeOne.com
      Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
      Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
      Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
        If id Software sells Quake on Steam for $9.99, why would you call it abandonware?

Abandonware is where the publisher no longer sells something or no longer exists to sell it.
        what i meant was they should make it abandon ware. bad choice of words. its old and only has a small following. do you think it sells enough to be worth it?
        My Avatars!
        Quake Leagues
        Quake 1.5!!!
        Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Originally posted by syluxman2803 View Post
          what i meant was they should make it abandon ware. bad choice of words. its old and only has a small following. do you think it sells enough to be worth it?
          Probably, yes.

Think of it like this, id Software has always essentially been an independent game maker --- small number of staff. I don't know how things changed when they decided to be acquired by Besthesda/Zenimax, but id Software is not (and never has been) a giant company.

They aren't an EA or Valve.

The games usually go on sale every once in a while where you can get most of their old games at Steam for not much $$$.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

yeah, and still even while they're not on sale they're still cheap. just check out the quake pack on steam: QUAKE Collection on Steam

just 30euro(40dollar) for quake and quake2 plus all mission packs for both, plus quake3arena and team arena

thats nothing, especially considering how amazing the games are <3 (well except q3a )
            are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
            > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
            everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

HA, Q3A > QLive. All fn day long
              Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

The steam version is a zero effort dump, they definitely have a great income through doing that. I mean, it probably cost them less than 1000$ to get it on there (in man hours). And they easily sold a couple of thousand copies I guess.

Ho, QuakeLive > Q3A, all night!

gb: The pak1.pak is encrypted on the shareware disc.
                Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                  For the most part, all we would really need to play online FREELY is a decent player model replacement, and recompiled gpl maps with new textures.
                  So for 90% of the online scene thats, 1 model (142frames) and dm3. Done. Or spend 2 minutes and 5$.

A free very good replacement player model is available here

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                  Sounds?

Good replacement sounds has been done by Mindgrid here

Regards,
                  Seven

Comment

And how much of this can be utilized outside darkplaces? This is the most relevant question I've asked,im pretty sure universal support will be a high priority for other engine authors.

Comment

Hello Mindf!3ldzX,

I am pleased to tell you that it is not a DarkPlaces-thing this time
                      The sounds are .wav files. You can even replace them inside your pak0.pak and most engines can use them.
                      The model is a md3 model. Many many engines support md3 files as you know (Spike´s, R00k´s, MH´s, Baker´s, LH´s ...).

Kind regards,
                      Seven

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                        Hello Mindf!3ldzX,

I am pleased to tell you that it is not a DarkPlaces-thing this time
                        The sounds are .wav files. You can even replace them inside your pak0.pak and most engines can use them.
                        The model is a md3 model. Many many engines support md3 files as you know (Spike´s, R00k´s, MH´s, Baker´s, LH´s ...).

Kind regards,
                        Seven
                        So, at the current state of Quake ,in terms of replacement-everything, is ready for "Free-Quake" to be provided? The legal hurdle of providing legal pak0.pak and pak1.pak has been over come? I'm ready for Quakeone.com to start hosting a download obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                          So, at the current state of Quake ,in terms of replacement-everything, is ready for "Free-Quake" to be provided? The legal hurdle of providing legal pak0.pak and pak1.pak has been over come? I'm ready for Quakeone.com to start hosting a download obviously.
                          Not yet. Remember what R00k said:
                          maps (including textures)
                          But Moon[Drunk] made all the textures already, so they can be used (downscaled) for the rebuilded maps.

All models, like weapons, powerups, items, bboxes have also been done.

We even have half the monsters available (the md3 ones). So also single player is not impossible.

Regarding all the other licencing terms, I dont know. I am not familiar with these things.

But i think it has never been closer to a free Quake than now.
                          Even though I dont need this. Quake by ID1 is available for 5$.

Comment

The animations on that model were very bad the last time I tried it.Hopefully someone fixed them?
                            WARNING
                            May be too intense for some viewers.
                            Stress Relief Device
                            ....BANG HEAD HERE....
                            ---------------------------
                            .--------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                              Not yet. Remember what R00k said:
                              maps (including textures)
                              But Moon[Drunk] made all the textures already, so they can be used (downscaled) for the rebuilded maps.

All models, like weapons, powerups, items, bboxes have also been done.

We even have half the monsters available (the md3 ones). So also single player is not impossible.

Regarding all the other licencing terms, I dont know. I am not familiar with these things.

But i think it has never been closer to a free Quake than now.
                              Even though I dont need this. Quake by ID1 is available for 5$.
                              When you say half the monsters, Are you talking about monsters outside the original Q1 release. zombie,rotfish,all soldiers,all knights,ogre,fiend,vore,shamby. Thats it. Those addon packs and the such, they should not be considered a "hurdle" to providing a free quake. Something tells me even if someone of us approached ID software about what constitutes "okay" in there eyes would be met with "DONT U EVEN THINK ABOUT IT,FUCKER!"

and im pretty sure Free > $5. My vision is a simple no-fuss "basic" download, with 100% customized content (short of Map designs,those remain same) and you would take that basic download, and simply add an engine (Qrack,DirectQ,DarkPlaces,and others all support custom textures/Item Textures/Monster Textures.Engines would not be provided in the DL, just a pure-basic folder (not named quake,because of the trademark obv it would be called NotQ or something not quake) extract basic folder, then extract engine of choice.

I do not know about custom sounds though, if they all support these. My thoughts is everything could be ripped out and replaced with 100% custom content. Where once was an original model/texture/sound, replacements all exist. pak0 and pak1 provided,purely custom.

we would have a page purely dedicated to hotlinks (1st download,extract this. 2nd,pick a client,download extract same place,done!)
                              Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 08-03-2012, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                                I miss my quake CD,

I still have Quake1 in a nice little ZIP file

24MB of zipped pure nostalgia ready to go.
                                I used to Have the Original, 1996 edition of Quake. Last year, the little cardboard case finally ripped apart at the spine, and I was so sad (1996 edition, man ) Then I found out that I didn't need some DOS emulator for a 2001 re-release of Quake included with the Ultimate Quake set. It came in a CD-CASE WITH REAL INSERTS!

What happened to yours anyway?

EDIT: 1-800-IDGAMES was a Hotline for purchasing id's games and merchandise though a phone, which was pretty cool for the 1990's. There is no more support for the phone number, nor the "IDSTUFF" client (or whatever it was ). The only way to purchase Quake now is through websites like Amazon.com or Ebay.com, or purchase a Digital copy from either http://www.idsoftware.com/games/quake/quake# or the Steam store

You purchased a Shareware copy of Quake, there's no other explanation. I purchased a copy of the shareware just to stare at it, and then sold it for about 15$
                                Last edited by A VERY unoriginal name; 08-06-2012, 01:48 PM. Reason: EXTRAS!

Comment

Working...
                                X