FitzProQuake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FitzProQuake?

I imagine a lot of the players here aren't familiar with the FitzQuake engine by John Fitzgibbons (who also runs Func_Msgboard, the home of mapping for Quake), but it is a really superb engine old school engine.

FitzQuake and Enhanced GLQuake, along with ProQuake, are really the only traditional engines I know of that don't intend to touch anything about the game, the look or the feel.

Right now, I am attempting to merge FitzQuake and ProQuake into a single GLQuake engine just for fun. We'll see if I am successful, I've read a lot of engine code but have never attempted anything like this.

If it works, the final result would be like this:

GLProQuake with ...

1) Everything looks better, the focus of FitzQuake was improving the GL rendering -- it looks more crisp.
    2) with the ability to set video mode in the client
    3) fog and skybox support
    4) in-game brightness adjustment
    5) and maps autocompletion along with some other fun features
    6) Ability to bind keypad keys
    7) Automatic vid_vsync off/on in client

Assuming I have any luck with this, I'd probably also end up doing the following:

1) Adding mouselook to the menu plus the freelook cvar
    2) Limit gl_picmip to 4 and look for any other features with the potential for abuse.
    3) Substitute FitzQuake pitch control cvars with cl_fullpitch, which is pretty much a standard on the servers (a standard to disable!)
    4) Change the mousespeed slider to have a greater range like JoeQuake/Qrack/DarkPlaces
    5) Maybe add optional animation interpolation that I saw Preach or someone played around with.
    6) Make TAB a useable key while playing demos (silly ProQuake!)
    7) Make it support running total conversions like DarkPlaces and Qrack can.

This is, of course, if this all works out. I can get both ProQuake and FitzQuake to compile fine.

I did a lot of looking thru the source code of both engines plus original Quake and it looks easier to merge ProQuake into FitzQuake, rather than the reverse.

If this works, thank WinMerge (it's like ExamDiff, but open source and free) and of course John Fitzgibbons and JPG.

My main motivation for even seeing if this is possible is that I played a single player map with FitzQuake today and it occurred to me that although the new engines are great, there is something about the traditional look and feel of Quake that is special and if possible one should have the option of using an old school engine, and really ProQuake currently feels 5 years out of date.
    Last edited by Baker; 05-30-2007, 01:34 AM.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

I think metl mentioned that the network stuff is broken in Fitzquake. Just so you know.
    Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

If this goes well, let's make a FitzProJoeQrackDarkQuake

Comment

Haha, that would be the best. I think this would be better:

EnhancedFitzProJoeQrackDarkQMBVr2FTEezQuake

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
        I think metl mentioned that the network stuff is broken in Fitzquake. Just so you know.
        Thanks for the heads up.

I'm using the "if it is rendering, use FitzQuake's code" and the "if it is non-rendering, use ProQuake's code" method of merging so I think that should be fine, heheh

What is more challenging will be to see if I know what I'm doing

/ ^^ Mostly a joke, which some emphasis on the "mostly"
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Note: There are some really nice features in FitzQuake I wasn't aware of, like condump. Just one of the numerous small additions to FitzQuake.

It does look like FitzQuake needs more video modes, like DarkPlaces has and I believe Qrack has as well.

I might add, John Fitzgibbons did an outstanding job of documenting his changes and so did JPG. Makes it very easy when working thru the various changes to each source code.

Comment

As I have been working thru the code, I can't help but find it funny how much these 2 engines need each other's code.

I notice little fixes here and there and there only seems to be about a 20% overlap of the various improvements. I'll find little things like how FitzQuake supports binding the full keypad, but ProQuake has 4 button mouse support and mousewheel console scroll. I'll be borrowing JoeQuake's 8 button mouse support when this is done, of course (if it gets done -- no sure thing).

Both engines are very well coded and the changes are very well documented.

Comment

Baker we must be the quake spirit , yesterday I was thinking how much I enjoyed fitzquake , yet missed parts of proquake
              "

Comment

I actually have merged all the code except for 3 files, but I imagine debugging and getting it to compile with an "all at once" merge would probably be very painful.

So, I'm going to merge things in slowly and steadily (and maybe faster as this goes along):

Completed List
                ----------------
                Mouse Look in menu + freelook cvar (not actually in ProQuake )
                Bestweapon support
                Record demo even after connected to server

I hope in a few hours a substantial part of this is done ... we'll see.

Comment

I had thought about this in the past, for a clean optimized proquake, but had already started on a joequake base. Animation interpolation would be a nice addition, if not a must. Also, Fitzquake does a better water warping than the old way, you might wanna set that new method on as default. If you could replace the *broken netcode, and support dpp7, omg then your on fire!
                  Last edited by R00k; 05-31-2007, 11:30 AM.
                  www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                    *broken netcode, and support dpp7, omg then your on fire!
                    Hehe, I somehow doubt that. I'm still learning.

Comment

Learned my lesson the hard way already. I thought I was already backing up my files frequently enough and then I decided "Ah, I won't mess anything up" and of course, that's exactly what I did.

"FitzProQuake" Version 1 (it will not be called that, I have no idea on a name)

Download: Engine and Source

Changes:

It is just FitzQuake with the following changes:

1) Mouselook is in the menu + freelook cvar
                      2) Field of view is in the menu
                      3) Demolist command
                      4) FOV, scr_conspeed, r_drawviewmodel saves to config
                      5) Bestweapon command
                      6) Record demo at any time

What I did but lost:

A demolist command
                      Made tab work during play of demos to see score
                      Other things when I got too aggressive.

Next time I'll backup things with greater frequency so I don't lose anything.

Comment

I think you should take proquake & fitzquake to make ur engine
                        then add .pk3 support(like darkplaces)
                        and add some of the qrack features
                        and add the crisp look of v2 to ur engine so u can say

"WOW LOOK THE THE GRAPIXS!!"

Comment

"WOW LOOK THE THE GRAPIXS!!"
                          FitzQuake is a "look at the graphics" engine, but a conservative one. Other engines are for new age graphics and particles.

The features in FitzQuake combined with the features in ProQuake should make an excellent all-purpose authentic-style Quake engine.

ProQuake's weaknesses:

1. Can't change video mode / brightness in-game
                          2. Rendering looks bland and FitzQuake is beautiful
                          3. Subtle improvements to single player

FitzQuake's weaknesses:

1. No NAT fix = bad
                          2. A lot of the subtle ProQuake refinements are badly needed -- crosshair isn't centered, etc.
                          3. A lot of the significant ProQuake improvements, like recording a demo any time you wish, ping in scoreboard.

Improvements in JoeQuake/Qrack/DarkPlaces that should be in this:

1. AVI making capability
                          2. More user-friendly menus (FOV, mouselook, ..)
                          3. "Proper" cvars should save to config
                          4. 8 button mouse support
                          5. Probably many other things

"FitzProQuake" Version 3 (it will not be called that, I have no idea on a name)

Download: Engine and Source

Additional Changes:

1) DemoList command and MapList Command (was "maps" command in FitzQuake)
                          2) Can press TAB to see scores in a demo
                          3) pq_moveup
                          4) cl_crossx and cl_crossy crosshair positioning cvars
                          5) cl_fullpitch (I think it works)

Frequently releasing update also forces me to properly backup my work, hehe
                          Last edited by Baker; 05-31-2007, 05:51 PM.

Comment

ur client name should be

BGQC v1.3(baker's godly quake client)

Comment

can you add some screen shots of your engine please and thanks :d

and a video of gameplay :d
                              Last edited by E]s-Doom; 05-31-2007, 08:31 PM. Reason: RAWR!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X