Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another "as I work on it" post of the code:

Download: Fourth code update

3 bugs I need to track down and a lot of testing to do, plus 1 question (how to make demos in FitzQuake assured to be compatible with other engines if the edicts > 600).

The 3 bugs I've noticed:

1) Played demos are "wrong". I must have something small wrong somewhere, I'm sure it be fixed when I spend more time debugging.

2) Going to single player to multiplayer to single player again "disconnects".

3) Seems to try to execute the entire cmdline cvar upon startup, shouldn't be hard to identify.

Implemented a lot of conversative improvements (crosshaircentered cvar, cl_confirmquit, fixed alt-tabbing issue that I guess only affects certain cards, aguirRe's "chase_active"/"player skin" fix) and about 80% of ProQuake features. Miscellaneous things like making the console scrollable with the mouse wheel.

In the future, it'll have JoeQuake demo rewind and AVI capturing ability. Demo rewind seems like a lot of work; AVI capture seems pretty simple.

To do list:

1) PNG screenshots (why use 2x disk space with TGA screenshots, I can understand using TGA textures for external textures, but I can't see any advantage of TGA screenshots).

2) Some sort of discreet preferences panel to do small things in Options like turn off bobbing, v_kick stuff, centered crosshair.

I'm trying absorb just about every common sense improvement in ProQuake/JoeQuake that improves the total Quake experience without changing the conservative feel or the engine and want to keep the menus very simple.

I plan on looking at DarkPlaces code for resolution switching to see how the DINPUT issue is handled, I might look and see what they did with resolution switching in ezQuake. FitzQuake's method nukes DINPUT.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Another "as I work on it" post of the code:

Download: Fifth code update

Add PNG screenshots support and eliminated the demoplay and cmdline bugs. The single player -> multiplayer -> single player "disconnect" problem remains.

To do:

Implement the transparency for gl_ringalpha (makes weapon transparent instead of annoying invisibility ring hue that makes it so you can't see)
      Add JoeQuake support for pressing ALT in console to do "bronzed" letters while typing.
      Investigate _cl_name fix in JoeQuake and implement. For some reason, Quake can't store some fancy names in _cl_name in a config and successfully read it the next time ... puts odd special characters in the name.
      AVI capture.
      Subtle menu for turning off bobs/kicks and setting little things???
      Switch port back to 26000 after a connect is performed if a connection is to another port.
      Check into -zone allocation and possibly make 1024 the default? Or is there a reason to not do this?
      Implement "time" command?
      Total conversion support?
      sbar, scoreboard sizing and textsize
      Add more video modes (widescreen modes don't appear to be supported)
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
        I just changed the version number to know for sure if I had compiled; of course I don't want to portray this as a FitzQuake 0.81 or anything.

So of course, I will be changing that.
        Is it too hard to change? You could name it "temporary name" or whatever. Just change the name already.
        Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

It's a development thread. I'm posting the code for anyone's benefit. I haven't even documented the changes, nor do I consider any of these revisions of any significance (except possibly the first one merely because it introduced no bugs) because of bugs.

When this reaches the point that the code is something I'm proud of -- which means no bugs -- I'll worry about secondary issues like the name.

This is a boring thread buried in a forum, it isn't like more 3 people including me are reading this thread.

The important thing is that I am posting the source code for anyone to examine or get ideas from, that's what I consider paramount -- me being not only somewhat of an OpenSource enthusiast but someone who believes sharing and openness is something important for the greater good. I emailed Mr. Fitzgibbons a few days ago letting him know I was modding his source code and made him aware of this thread.

Comment

I almost feel like that certain guy, ahem... I don't want to sound like an asshole, but:
            When this reaches the point that the code is something I'm proud of -- which means no bugs -- I'll worry about secondary issues like the name.
            So right now you are putting metl's name to shame as it is nothing to be proud about?
            I think it is a nice project and you have accomplished quite a lot already.
            What is the problem with changing it something as minor as the name?
            Make it "Baker's Fitz- and Proquake merge project" or something until you find a name you like.

The important thing is that I am posting the source code for anyone to examine or get ideas from, that's what I consider paramount -- me being not only somewhat of an OpenSource enthusiast but someone who believes sharing and openness is something important for the greater good.
            Yes! This is good. But that attitude should include the documentation on who's work it is.

Be proud of what you are doing. And be nice to the people who might stumble over this fitzquake.exe in 5 years and wonder who made it and what it is.

Comment

The next time I can get it compile, I'll rename it when I upload Happy now?

Update:

Updated version (only change is that messagemode has been expanded to true Quake maximum of 44 -- was 32): Sixth Update

The name of project has been changed in the console/exit screen/etc to "FitzQuake + ProQuake merge" and the prior download links don't work anymore
              Last edited by Baker; 06-04-2007, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Thank you )

edit: Uhm, I meant the name inside the engine itself of course.

Comment

Great job Baker,

I had planned on making a stripped down version of Qrack, called QrackLE, (light edition), but probably wont get to it this summer, yet i'm eager to see your project mature as it's potential for office desktop and laptop players is fundimental. I can't run Qrack currently at work nor on my own laptop ,
                  but a client with all the basic functions of "what we need to get online" with a small footprint, would be kick ass to say the least.

Does FitzQuake support 24bit textures?? If not, i'm sure you'll add it to support SynQ?
                  www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

What's in a name?

Have you decided on what you are calling your client?

I came up with a few suggestions....

FitzQuakePRO
                    PQFusion (PQF)
                    MotleyQuake
                    Buake
                    PQFQuake
                    FQuakePro
                    FitznizzleMyQuizzle
                    BQuakePro

Though I still like Quake&Bake the best
                    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
                      edit: Uhm, I meant the name inside the engine itself of course.
                      I did that too. Didn't I? Make sure you run the renamed executable.

Originally posted by Rook
                      Does FitzQuake support 24bit textures??
                      FitzQuake does support 24-bit textures (TGA only) but I'm not certain the support is as deep as JoeQuake/Qrack (like luma channels, etc.).

I might add the ability to turn off 24-bit textures, if the feature does not already exist. I can think of 2 reasons:

1) If someone has them in c:\quake\id1\textures and doesn't want to use them with this engine.

2) Possibly as a hard enforced server option in a cheat-free mode.

If I did, I'd have it off by default. I'm still trying to figure out a discreet options panel.

I might add PNG texture support simply because I've already added all the libpng code/etc and it seems to weird to support writing PNG screenshots but not reading PNG textures.

I have to say, looking thru all the engine code from several different engines in this last week --- I have 15 folders I run WinMerge on, both against this project and sometimes against each other -- I have some outstanding ideas for other engines like, Qrack.

Sometime I'll have to write up a list.

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                        Have you decided on what you are calling your client?
                        I really don't want to see FitzQuake get forked, nor really was this my intent when I started doing this on an impulse. I'd rather this just be a code patch posted in the FitzQuake thread on Func_Msgboard after this is fully completed, documented and debugged (and given industrial strength compatibility testing on mods).

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                          I can't run Qrack currently at work nor on my own laptop ,
                          but a client with all the basic functions of "what we need to get online" with a small footprint, would be kick ass to say the least.
                          You know ... this mystery bugs me!

I know of a couple of computers I've tried JoeQuake/Qrack and they fail, but FitzQuake works.

But yet FitzQuake has 24 bit texture support, lit support, skybox support -- most of really what are the main features in JoeQuake/Qrack.

How can this be? A mystery to look into! I wonder what the differences in the OpenGL calls are. That's something to check out for certain.

Comment

Ideas for things to be in a possible discreet extra Options menu to make things easier to the end user:

1) Crosshair ON | OFF
                            2) Bobbing
                            3) v_kick/roll stuff
                            4) Centered crosshair (Centered feels a little weird sometimes with the "+")
                            5) Centerprint logging ON | OFF
                            6) External textures ON | OFF (if possible and not overly difficult to do)
                            7) Drawview model ON | OFF
                            8] GL Polyblend???? or some type of equivalence
                            9) Screenshot type ? (Or maybe not. Doesn't seem likely someone would change this).
                            10) Console scroll speed (DEFAULT | FAST)

I don't want to over do it, either. Just the kind of things someone loading up Quake might want to reasonably do without having to ask someone else how to do it.

Comment

download links not working :/

Comment

I messed up the download link, didn't I?

Download: Sixth Revision

Comment

Working...
                                X