Arcane Dimensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @qbism, wow love that brick colour!

those steam and fire emitters on ad_test3 and ad_crucial are completely invisible in DP
    http://www.simonoc.com/files/ad/dp_adtest3_flames.jpg

are we allowed to use the new enemy/gib models in other mods as well?
    Sure, nothing commercial and a credit in a readme file would be nice

@MadGypsy, thanks I checked all DP commands and could not find anything that would help

The bounding box problem is easy to see here I am sure hardly any DP users are even aware of the problem because it makes picking up items, well easier!

I have tested this with 2 different version of DP (20140513 and latest nightly build). Its difficult to create small spaces to hide stuff if the engine is growing the bounding boxes so they are the size of a barn door! I reduced the bounding box with QC and the engine is still doubling them!

Comment

• sock,

You should read the comments in the qc files:
      self.flags = FL_ITEM; // make extra wide
      Darkplaces is following the correct specifications. Quakespasm seems to do something else.

The flag FL_ITEM sets an extra wide bbox around items (also in original quake/engines) to make it better pickable.

This is how it looks when items have this flag:

This is how you want it to look:

TIP:
      When you start to make darkplaces mods, you must be aware of its sv_gameplayfix_xxxxx cvars ! They are all disabled by default since 2013-03-01 build.
      This must be considered and I highly recommend to enable some of them to avoid issues just like you have them right now. Be also aware of darkplaces collision detections.
      Read more about it in the smc readme and the smc_config.cfg file.

Comment

• Hi!
        Just registered to say THANK YOU for Arcane Dimensions! It is wonderful!
        Great design, great feeling, and a lot of fun (rather rare in FPS nowadays).

I have some questions:

- it is possible to run AD with the command-line options "feet" and "updproj" yet activated? (more old-school feeling)

- it is normal that after completing a map (e.g. Firetop Mountain) nothing is blocking the same portal in the start level?

- it is possible to change the 2D explosion (e.g. of the flaming skulls) in a 3D particle explosion?

- how difficult is to play AD in coop over the Internet with Quakespasm (netquake)?

Thank you!

Comment

• it is possible to run AD with the command-line options "feet" and "updproj" yet activated? (more old-school feeling)
          * Open up the quake.rc file in a text editor
          * Find the line that says 'temp1 1024'
          * Replace it with 'temp1 656384'
          * Save file
          * Load mod (via shortcut)

656384 = 1024 (particles) + 131072 (hitscanshotguns) + 524288 (nofeetsound)

it is normal that after completing a map (e.g. Firetop Mountain) nothing is blocking the same portal in the start level?
          Yes, the maps are not linked, you can replay them as many times as you want with different skill levels.

it is possible to change the 2D explosion (e.g. of the flaming skulls) in a 3D particle explosion?
          Yes, *you* can

how difficult is to play AD in coop over the Internet with Quakespasm (netquake)?
          no idea, no coop testing was done.

Darkplaces is following the correct specifications. Quakespasm seems to do something else.
          I need to confirm this with someone from QS and find out why this is being done different.

When you start to make darkplaces mods
          I don't want to make a DP mod, I want to make something that bridges the gap between the two communities. I want a mod that works reasonable well for both engines (DP/QS)

Comment

• Originally posted by sock View Post
            * Open up the quake.rc file in a text editor
            * Find the line that says 'temp1 1024'
            * Replace it with 'temp1 656384'
            * Save file
            * Load mod (via shortcut)

656384 = 1024 (particles) + 131072 (hitscanshotguns) + 524288 (nofeetsound)
            Thank you!
            But flying skulls keep the 2D explosions (IMHO it would be nice a particle explosion like original spawn). So what exactly 1024 do?
            Thanks again!

P.S. Is Firetop Mountain map inspired by the Fighting Fantasy book?

Comment

• So what exactly 1024 do
              Its the crackling of the torches, the whistling of the bullets, the dust and sparks from crashing breakables and the magical energies flowing from the spells!

Is Firetop Mountain map inspired by the Fighting Fantasy book?
              It certainly is! I remembering buying that book when it first came and playing it all weekend! paper, dice and lazy sunday afternoon!
              PS. Mountain does have a story mode, there are many secrets to the AD MOD!

Comment

• regarding FL_ITEM, I expect its just down to how its drawn.
                in your screenshot, DP is drawing the abs bbox (which is more correct in regard to solid_trigger and rotated solid_bsp, but may be slightly expanded compared to solid_bbox/solid_slidebox), while quakespasm is drawing whatever was passed to setsize (which is correct only for solid_bbox/solid_slidebox interactions).

raise the brushes under that item to above step heights, you should see that there's no differences other than the shown bbox.

FL_ITEM expands by 15 in the x+y directions.
                Some Game Thing

Comment

• Originally posted by qbism View Post
                  Exploring this briefly, it is likely super8 does not support a particular progs asset or progs.dat feature. More about this on qbism.com. Any observations could be posted there or in a separate thread as it is indeed an engine incompatibility of some kind.

Map (bsp) content renders, though.
                  which palette are you using?

Comment

• Well thank you everyone for your feedback, it has been awesome to see what people think of the MOD. I plan to be gone for a while so if there are any questions, problems or stuff, hopefully the rest of the AD team will jump in and help.

I highly recommend you download the latest patch as it does fix a lot of issues with DP and scaling of monsters for higher skill levels.

I wish everyone here a happy new year!

some screenshots by MFX for the MOD, a genius quake mapper!
                    http://www.simonoc.com/files/ad/ad_swampy.jpg
                    http://www.simonoc.com/files/ad/ad_end.jpg

Comment

• Can't find the patch for DP on your page??

Can you help please?

Comment

• gdiddy62,

This zip

https://www.quaddicted.com/filebase/ad_v1_42patch1.zip

should fix DP issues. Just copy over the existing folders.

Comment

• Originally posted by Legend View Post
                          which palette are you using?
                          Just the default s8pal, and 0.85 gamma.

For a currently unknown reason, a few of the mdl files in /progs cause a video buffer glitch and crash the super8 engine. Also reported for Mark V Winquake on insideqc.com. Realizing these are unsupported engines, yet opening the files in Noesis and resaving them fixes the glitch. It also results in smaller mdl file sizes. I don't know which specific files. I did a batch open/save.

Comment

• Thank you mfx! Much appreciated!!

Happy New Year Everyone!!!

Comment

• @genius mapper - no doubt! I envy the talent of you guys for this skill. Amazing work.
                              http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

• Originally posted by sock View Post
                                Its the crackling of the torches, the whistling of the bullets, the dust and sparks from crashing breakables and the magical energies flowing from the spells!

It certainly is! I remembering buying that book when it first came and playing it all weekend! paper, dice and lazy sunday afternoon!
                                PS. Mountain does have a story mode, there are many secrets to the AD MOD!
                                Thank you and happy new year to everyone!

Comment

Working...
                                X