Yet another HD ogre.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep

These days though, we've been doing more Physically based materials (PBR) which allows for a much more flexible and life-like shader. Essentially the artist has more power, instead of the programmer screwing with a shader. It's the newest and best method, That's why I'll be doing it this way.

Typically, you have color, normal, metallic and Roughness. I'll probably have subsurface and occlusion maps as well. They're also good for use in CG. Jurassic world and Wreck it Ralph both use PBR based materials. You can already see them being used in the latest games, particularly in Unreal engine 4. Even Unity's standard shader has been PBR compatible since Unity 4 was released.

That's what I'll be using. I may try to create a version with the 3 texture combo of normals, diffuse and specular... we'll see how motivated I am after I've spent all my free time on this ogre ;P

For anyone nerdy enough to care, there's a guide on it that explains in a much more thoughtful way than how I've bluntly explained it

https://www.allegorithmic.com/system...uide_Vol.1.pdf

Thanks again for all your support, You really help make me motivated to continue this

Comment

He's looking good. Can't beat dat PBR!

New Doom uses PBR, which is why all the metallic materials look absolutely amazing.

I agree with the others about the face, it needs to be more 'Gnaw-on-your-bones' savage.

Comment

Originally posted by Tea Monster View Post
        He's looking good. Can't beat dat PBR!

New Doom uses PBR, which is why all the metallic materials look absolutely amazing.

I agree with the others about the face, it needs to be more 'Gnaw-on-your-bones' savage.
        Indeed, yeah I agree that his face looks too human. It's definitely the next thing I address. A lot of people have been saying it and i agree.

Comment

Will you be using Painter/DDO for texturing?

Comment

Originally posted by Tea Monster View Post
            Will you be using Painter/DDO for texturing?
            Either Substance painter or Zbrush most probably. Possibly a combination of the two. Guess we'll see.

Comment

I'd make his eyes red, to be more "evil"
              Make Quake Great Again

Comment

It's been a while since I posted because I was holding off till I finally finished modelling the Ogre. I wanted to be at the stage of finishing all the finest details of the sculpt first. But I managed to do something I was proud of along the way so here's a teaser in the mean time.

I've re-imagined the grenade launcher used by the ogre.

It's just a small tidbit, but I thought it looked worthy of show and tell

This was a real challenge to design.
                If you look at the quake ogre's texture there's really nothing much to stubby pistol/hammer looking grenade launcher. Simply making it HD doesn't do it, it's too simple and doesn't convey a grenade launcher. It barely qualifies as a pistol. Good thing it's so hard to notice!

I wanted something more realistic. But at the same time, the Ogre is a kind of medieval/deisal punk thing, so it's extremely difficult to design for. I had to try to come up with something that felt somewhere between those two aesthetics which is how I decided upon this design. It's a mix between a blunderbuss, a cannon and a flare-gun.

I also wanted It to look like someone had forged it with tools available only in medieval times. So yeah easier said than done. But it was sort of achievable in the material.

I hope I was able to mildly amuse someone tonight. More updates to come.

Comment

Looks great!

Back when I first played the shareware version of Quake, and saw the first ogre (e1m2) he looked to me like a blacksmith with a hammer.
                  www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

agreed, that's a great-looking grenadelauncher-like weapon for the ogre
                    its kinda like a really big over-sized pistol which shoot grenades, which is perfect

was afraid the comments had turned you off from continuing your ogre,
                    glad to see you are still working on it and i would love to see any progress you make

keep up the good work! ive seen so many projects never get finished as creators lose interest,
                    and your work looks to amazing to not be finished and go to waste.
                    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Agreed, very good to see you still working on this and GREAT work!!

Comment

Would be possible to use this grenade launcher as a regular model for the player?
                        Fórum QuakeBrasil

Lots of Quake related stuff

Comment

Originally posted by simonheggie.com View Post
                          It's been a while since I posted because I was holding off till I finally finished modelling the Ogre. I wanted to be at the stage of finishing all the finest details of the sculpt first. But I managed to do something I was proud of along the way so here's a teaser in the mean time.

I've re-imagined the grenade launcher used by the ogre.

It's just a small tidbit, but I thought it looked worthy of show and tell

This was a real challenge to design.
                          If you look at the quake ogre's texture there's really nothing much to stubby pistol/hammer looking grenade launcher. Simply making it HD doesn't do it, it's too simple and doesn't convey a grenade launcher. It barely qualifies as a pistol. Good thing it's so hard to notice!

I wanted something more realistic. But at the same time, the Ogre is a kind of medieval/deisal punk thing, so it's extremely difficult to design for. I had to try to come up with something that felt somewhere between those two aesthetics which is how I decided upon this design. It's a mix between a blunderbuss, a cannon and a flare-gun.

I also wanted It to look like someone had forged it with tools available only in medieval times. So yeah easier said than done. But it was sort of achievable in the material.

I hope I was able to mildly amuse someone tonight. More updates to come.
                          That hand in the second pic reminds me of RE7 for some reason.May be the pic quality.
                          The grenade launcher looks awesome.
                          Dude,lets party!
                          Bring some food and drink.I got Arcane Dimensions 2.666!?!

Comment

Originally posted by talisa View Post
                            agreed, that's a great-looking grenadelauncher-like weapon for the ogre
                            its kinda like a really big over-sized pistol which shoot grenades, which is perfect

was afraid the comments had turned you off from continuing your ogre,
                            glad to see you are still working on it and i would love to see any progress you make

keep up the good work! ive seen so many projects never get finished as creators lose interest,
                            and your work looks to amazing to not be finished and go to waste.
                            Thank you very much

Nah, I'm actually overwhelmed by how nice everyone here is and how much support and interest there for new stuff. I posted something like this on Polycount.com which is the number one video game art forum (as far as i can tell). Nobody responded to my post. I basically just got silence, which is worse than if i'd had got trolled, because nobody cared enough to even voice their opinion!! Sometimes i get the impression that people over there only want to comment on REALLY good stuff, because either they'd like to take someone down a couple of pegs, or they want to show their appreciation for work that really grabs their attention. Maybe they'll give me a little love when I'm finished.

I actually double-take sometimes when I see how many replies i get on this thread. It's really more appreciated than you guys might realise. It really does motivate me.

Originally posted by vegetous View Post
                            Would be possible to use this grenade launcher as a regular model for the player?
                            Quite possibly, I want to animate the character when I'm done. so that may be enough for someone to rip the gun and put it into quake. Again, I'm mainly focused on my portfolio presentation, but I'll try to make it easy for people to use what I've made.

Thanks everyone for the good cheer, I'll be back later with more updates

Comment

@ ~ Sometimes i get the impression that people over there only want to comment on REALLY good stuff.

This IS really good... excellent even.
                              http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Hello simonheggie.com,

Your avatar (maybe you) look like Johnny Depp. Which is cool
                                Your modeling skills are good. There is no doubt about that. I wonder how your animation skills are, which is in my opinion even more important (and difficult) when creating a living creature.

Looking forward to your release.

Best regards,
                                Seven

Comment

Working...
                                X