No announcement yet.

FvF and Rquake Co-op are shutting down.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Although I'm sure this isn't by intent, Gunter is giving you a lesson on Open Source.

Which is why as a general rule of thumb, I view closed source + Quake as about the equivalent of dog poop.

FvF gets the honor of joining such mods as CA+, Painkiller's DeadZone and many other ultimately useless mods.

This is, whether or not it is polite to say or hurts people's feelings, the reward for investing in closed source. Closed source is always a graveyard waiting to happen.

Whether it is utilities, map editors, mods ... closed source has a final destination of the grave.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

i guess

ya maybe, it was fun, a lot of fun to play that mod. i think it's mainly about the spirit of it, i hope someone runs that server again, i thought it was definitely unique and deserves to run.

my e-mail address is [email protected] if somebody that may be in charge of the FvF server could e-mail me about it's status and/or plans, that would be cool.

Comment

Can't we just have r00k rebuild it from scratch again?

Comment

Gunter has to let you host, Foq. Damn lazy one. And I have to quote something from you that I totally agree:

There's plenty of people who'll play FvF if I ask them to come play. You can't expect people to just happen on a Quake server unless it's shmack, speaknow or the crmod server.

Comment

Gunter is a brilliant coder but has run his mods into the ground with how he's managed them. He's kept an iron fist over all control, and sets the server up for himself, i.e. with proper tic rates for 250 pingers (of which he is the last). I wouldn't bother trying to talk him out of it, he is pretty set in his ways.

Comment

FvF is going to live... I'll make sure of it.
              e|------------------------0---------------
              B|---------------0^1----------------1----
              G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
              D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
              A|---------------0------------------------
              E|----------------------------------------

Comment

thats good

that is good to hear, for now i'll get my fix on your rquake f0q, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by spooker View Post
                  Gunter is a brilliant coder but has run his mods into the ground with how he's managed them. He's kept an iron fist over all control, and sets the server up for himself, i.e. with proper tic rates for 250 pingers (of which he is the last). I wouldn't bother trying to talk him out of it, he is pretty set in his ways.
                  Whether or not most people know this, I'll tell it anyway ...

Back in 2005 when the "QuakeOne Team" was an idea with Yellow No. 5 being far more important than most people perceive, in particular Yellow and I were highly involved interacting with the Quakeworld community which at the time was like a shining golden city and NetQuake was a disaster.

The Quakeworld community was into sharing, cooperation, releasing source code and permissive behavior.

NetQuake was on the brink due to "mine, mine, mine", fighting over servers, fighting over source code (this was exceptionally ridiculous in the TLTQ community and with Painkiller's Dead Zone).

The idea that Yellow, Solecord, Bam and other discussed with the idea of growing the community by cooperation.

Needless to say, it worked. The NetQuake community is at least 100 times more organized and filled with creative works than it was.

Isn't it odd that Gunter was an FVF lover that started off his modding "career" hacking the progs with a hex editor because he didn't have the source to the then dead mod.

And then eventually he contacted the author and got the source.

And now he might as well be that author that abandoned the mod and let it die via the very same closed source route that Gunter himself dealt with as a predicament.

I respect Gunter as a very creative modder and someone who has contributed a lot of diversity and entertainment for the FVF lovers in the community.

But it seems like he didn't learn really learn anything from his experience.

Successful people don't fail in the same way they started.
                  Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

interesting

that's pretty interesting, idk much about the history of FvF but I love playing it, that would be pretty cool if someone that will possibly run it again in the future make it so u have to download the textures and stuff so the FvF player can enjoy all the modified textures in it. and, like i said, i found it very entertaining and unique and would love to see it online forever even if i had to run it, lol.

Comment

Things are looking good. Gunter's working on modifying the progs to suit me instead of ORL (server addresses, splash screens with contact info and such). I have the fvf.servequake.com DNS assigned to me now. All that needs to happen now is for Gunter to do the finish foqing the code, then send me the progs.
                      e|------------------------0---------------
                      B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                      G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                      D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                      A|---------------0------------------------
                      E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Gunter kept the crap that ruined RuneQuake for me (like all hook all the time) from ruining FvF too. For this, I salute him!

Comment

cool

you're the man f0qr

Comment

Originally posted by gulliver-trans View Post
                            ..crap that ruined RuneQuake for me (like all hook all the time)..
                            The hook in RuneQuake is just one of its many features that can be turned ON or OFF (either by server admin or player voting).. I'm just saying the mod can be configured just how you like it.. So if you don't like some particular setup, don't blame the mod, blame the guy who set it up, or better yet, setup your own server with the mod configured just how YOU like it

RuneQuake is by far the most versatile and user-configurable mod out there, and best of all, it is open source and still being improved!

SlotZero (and all the other people who contributed to it) really deserves a lot of credit for making/developing/improving RuneQuake!

Comment

I agree 100% with peg
                              My servers for the gamers:
                              bigfoot.servequake.com / damage.servequake.com

port 26000 EuroQuake
                              port 26001 EuroQuake Coop

newyork.quakeone.com
                              Offline ATM
                              fvf.servequake.com
                              flanders.servegame.org / flanders.servequake.com
                              Offline ATM
                              newdm.servequake.com
                              port 26010

http://bigfoot.servequake.com (EuroQuake)
                              sigpic

Comment

I agree with Pol but I blame jer (euro joke)
                                Mr.Burns
                                "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                                WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                                Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Working...
                                X