Z-Fixed Quake v0.9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z-Fixed Quake v0.9

Wow, almost exactly a year ago I started this little project, worked on it for a month, neared 100% completion then packed it up and didn't touch it for a year.

I am a douche bag. Sorry 'bout that.

WHAT IS THIS?

This project aims to fix every bug/oversight found in the original Quake maps. So far, these maps address nearly 200 instances of z-fighting, misaligned textures, stray or misplaced brushes and various misplaced entities.

Also, every map bug found here has been addressed as well the particularly annoying floating zombies on e4m7 (that one really 'bugged' me).

I want to note some of the things I did not change (in this version):

1. No colored lights
    2. No Transparent water
    3. Mismatched door sounds (tech base sounds on medieval levels and vice versa)
    4. The 'misplaced' teleport destinations on e2m1 where an enforcer telefrags another enemy. I can't tell if this was intentional or not, and it's classic so I'm not gonna touch it.

I did not go through the maps and snap anything, everything compiles fine and there are no HOMs that I'm aware of. I would also like to note that I used the original compilers for the sake of authenticity and because every other light tool yields slightly different results in a couple small areas.

WARNING

Your client might crash at startup because the demo info does not match the new maps. A quick work around which I forgot to do was make new, similar demos to be packed with these maps. Eventually, I'd like to see if I can extract the original demo info somehow and create new demos with these maps.

THIS IS BETA

So, please play these maps, look for bugs and let me know so I can fix em. I addressed 1 or 2 z-fighting issues in ways that are less than optimal, so I will go back and re-fix those.

EXTRAS

I also put PrimeviL's/OriOn's Faithfull Debugged Models in the rar for giggles. I noticed they didn't do Hipnotic or Rogue's weapons so I replaced those with PrimeviL's/OriOn's models that I reskinned.

The whole reason I started this project was so that I could play a "perfect" Quake (pretty much how Advanced Doom 3 came about, it was originally intended for personal use only). I also plan on debugging SoA and DoE. After these maps are done and the next DirectQ comes out I'm going to release a "perfect quake" pack that will be quake as faithful as possible while bug free and running on a modern engine. I'm sure there are at least one or two other people in the world that have similar tastes and would enjoy it.

DOWNLOAD <--- temporarily disabled

Come get some.

SCREENSHOTS

Last edited by KillPixel; 01-21-2013, 12:13 PM.
    www.youtube.com/user/KillPixel

You posted these fixes back then, right? At least, I remember this picture.

I doubt it's changed since I made maps, so... an easy way to check HOM is to noclip outside the level and look in. If you can see the inside of the level, then it's ok. If you see the ceiling/floor/wall texture, like it was a solid block, then there's a leak.

Comment

Originally posted by Zop View Post
      You posted these fixes back then, right? At least, I remember this picture.

I doubt it's changed since I made maps, so... an easy way to check HOM is to noclip outside the level and look in. If you can see the inside of the level, then it's ok. If you see the ceiling/floor/wall texture, like it was a solid block, then there's a leak.
      If I recall correctly, I only posted a handful of maps from the first two episodes that only had a couple z-fighting fixes. That was 2% complete, this is 99.9% complete. I made these screenshots a few days ago, but they're probably almost identical to the ones I posted last year.

I don't know when I'll get the time to scour the maps for that other 0.1% so I thought I'd post what I have as beta simply because they're playable and I might get lucky and someone could point out some issues I missed, having another pair of eyes is helpful sometimes.

Comment

I think this is a great idea; something id_software could have done back in the day. The sad thing is that, one cannot 'legally' distribute a fixed .bsp. Now i'm not gonna blow any whistles but those misaligned textures are still copyright material. Providing a pack of all maps, with original textures allows one to download a client then download a map pak thus sidestepping the need to buy Quake in the beginning.

Providing just the .map files allowing each individual to 'process' their own maps, would be sufficient.

At any rate, thanks to KillPixel for the long cumbersome task of fixing these maps
        www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
          The sad thing is that, one cannot 'legally' distribute a fixed .bsp. Now i'm not gonna blow any whistles but those misaligned textures are still copyright material. Providing a pack of all maps, with original textures allows one to download a client then download a map pak thus sidestepping the need to buy Quake in the beginning.
          You are absolutely right, that totally got by me. In order not to violate any copyrights I've disabled the download until I assemble a pack of just the .maps and perhaps qutils and a batch file with detailed instructions so anyone can have access to the fixed maps. In the meantime, PM me a love letter or something.

EDIT:

At any rate, thanks to KillPixel for the long cumbersome task of fixing these maps
          You are totally welcome! Even if just one person makes use of these maps I'm content.
          Last edited by KillPixel; 01-21-2013, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Your z-fixed maps were driving me crazy, as NOTHING was fixed!!! I still saw all the errors every time I replaced one in my PAK file and then played it???

Then, it hit me... I have pak2.pak's with all the water vis'd maps in every id1 directory I have, hehehehe! OOPSIE's

Nice job on the tidying up of stock Quake KillPixel,
            - damage_
            Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

nice idea killpixel. are they vis'd too or not? if not, could you make versions too which are vis'd?

cuz i love being able to have transparent vis'd water surfaces, and i like the fixes you did...
              but id hate to have to miss vis'd water surfaces
              are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
              > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
              everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Your z-fixed maps were driving me crazy, as NOTHING was fixed!!!
                That made me choke on my burrito (???)...thanks for that

@splitterface - I had intended to do a version with colored lights and vis'd water...of course, people will have to compile the maps themselves from now on

Comment

hi killpixel,
                  -
                  i tested these fixed maps and it's cool addition to ultimate-quake-experience. thanks. there are still some misaligned textures left... not much... a few - i'm still colecting pictures. more to come soon.
                  -
                  jakub
                  my projects so far:

Travail retextured ___/___ Knave HD textures
                  Tronyn in high definiton ___/___Abyss of Pandemonium HD textures
                  Nehahra rtlights and other experiments

Comment

Originally posted by jakub1 View Post
                    hi killpixel,
                    -
                    i tested these fixed maps and it's cool addition to ultimate-quake-experience. thanks. there are still some misaligned textures left... not much... a few - i'm still colecting pictures. more to come soon.
                    -
                    jakub
                    Nice. I admit that fixing the misaligned textures was somewhat of an afterthought. Thanks for hunting the rest down for me!

Comment

Hi Killpixel,

I can only agree to what jakub said and support your idea behind your project.
                      Even though it is somewhat hard for me to see the differences (at least in your screenshots).
                      But you can believe in jakubīs words, he has sharp eyes and the right sense for it

Good luck for your project.

Comment

killpixel, could you please share those debugged models you fixed for weapons of both mission packs?

i found orions debugged models for ID1 through your thread, and i really like using them with my classic quake setup
                        and its a shame when playing MPs that mp weapons arent debugged, so id love to also have debugged mission pack weapons too

so could you please share those reskinned weapons for mission packs you did?
                        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Good luck for your project.
                          Thanks Seven, it'll be nice when this is done and out the door.

Originally posted by splitterface View Post
                          killpixel, could you please share those debugged models you fixed for weapons of both mission packs?
                          Enjoy!

Comment

thanx killpixel

Comment

Where iz download? :<
                              I presume these are compiled for transparent water also?

Comment

Working...
                              X