Unreal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal

I know this is a Quake forum, but what do you guys think of Unreal? (NOT unreal tournament, but the first game, with a campaign)

Personally, I find it to be one of my favorite games, right up there with Quake for me. I think the devs accomplished a great sense of atmosphere in the game with the detailed and stylistic level design, mixed with the excellent musical score. The AI was actually challenging for a single player game, and each enemy acted differently.

IMO these things added a lot to the suspension of disbelief for me because it makes it feel like you are a vulnerable human trying to survive in a foreign world. That, and I thought it was quite cool how there was a ton of backstory, but if you didn't care about it, you could just blast through the game and avoid all the logs and diaries and alien writings read through the translator.

In the beginning of the game when I first played back in 98, I was expecting another Quake or Doom-like game with nice graphics (which i was fine with), but then I got passed the first level, out of the ship I was like

Also, I think the setting is pretty different from ID's games too, and this makes it a pretty good thing to play when your done replaying Quake's SP.

I see the game more as a FP adventure with shooting than a straight-up FPS though, as even though it involves heavy amounts of shooting, it has such a huge exploration element that makes up a lot of parts.

Plus, the music was just plain awesome:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glnpnifV4Fk]Unreal - Dusk Horizon - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPcJOnwWhF4&feature=related]Unreal - Surfacing - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--5COmk8ZM0&feature=related]Unreal - Main Title - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xMp0fZiJaM&feature=related]Unreal - WarGate - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft4dVEs5RNE]Unreal: Return To Na Pali - Return To Na Pali - YouTube[/ame]

I do not like it Unreal crashes in xp
    the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

Have you tried getting the patches or new renderers? Oldunreal.com has unofficial patches, and the game works flawlessly on Windows XP, Vista, and 7 with them.

Comment

Yes, patch the game and it will run fine on XP. It does on mine anyway.
        This game is awesome IMO and ranks up there with Quake for my first gaming experiences back in the 90's!

Comment

Yes, Unreal1 had that "zomg" effect on me too. I remember wondering why my Quake ran like such shit and Unreal ran AND looked imho, 10x better than Quake.

I was never fond of Quake's "Muddy" look, it reminds me of this stuff
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I remember when Unreal was being developed, and the screen shots were cool back then. I never played it though, not even the demo. I probably would be typing on an Unreal forum instead of Quake if I had. Unreal looks better than Quake1 hah! Plus mods made for Unreal will work on the UT3 engine. Something that Quake is bad about. Can you imagine playing crmod on Q4 engine?
            www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

haha.

Unreal was really awesome, and now I have a nostalgic URGE. Unreal 1, truely epic game. I played it online quite a bit.
              Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I've always had room for both Unreal and Quake in my mind. Both truly awesome!

Comment

How dare you post an Unreal thread in a Quake forum. How long was that game in development for? Since 1995? Lol!

Comment

Unreal is right up there with Quake for me also. One of the things I remember the best is the first time I ran it on Glide with the voodoo 2 cards in sli. The beginning "flyby" is still etched in my memory. Ill start it up now with the 5870 and it still looks good. There is still a mod community over at unrealsp.org also. There is a nice section on mods over there. Anything from single maps to full episodes.

Its definately a classic.
                    If you see 427 playing Quake thats me.

Comment

Why does Nali Castle look different in the intro? It's got reflective floors, fog, noises, different sky and different lighting.

Comment

youre right the nalicastle doesnt have this good visuals like in the intro
                        they sacrificed a few effects for better performace of the play version
                        strange i never noticed this before

Comment

unreal and i

for me, unreal is one of a few games that created own unique style. i remember that when i saw unreal for the first time i couldn't belive it. even today unreal is beautiful game. technologically, of course, it's obsolete, but visually unreal is piece of art. all those giant castles filled with the clever enemies together with music you can't get out of your head - and i mean it in a good way :-).
                          -
                          i have another go through unreal every now and then just to listen unreal soundtrack and admire it's architecture. expecially levels bluff eversmoking and na pali heaven. i consider bluff eversmoking as the best level in any fps game a have ever played.. maybe together with hong-kong hub from deus ex, but deus ex isn't exactly fps.
                          -
                          there are fan addons that develope the story behind unreal, most of all onp. but there are others and i like that all these mods follow the same visual style. some might say is boring and repetitive, but to me it's a proof consistency of unreal's universe. i especially like the idea that in some mods you can revisit sections of the original game and than continue through originally blocked exit to a new section.. e.g. the modernized version of temple velora with all the electrical stuff from 7bullet. still hope that the chosen one and residual decay and shamu quest will see the light of day eventually.
                          -
                          there is only one thing i don't like about some unreal sp mods - fights with human soldiers. they are too quick/too acurete and in general too dangerous. sometimes these fights are pure chance. you are usually dead before you know what happened. i want to fight skaajrs, titans and kralls or at least those overgrown flies.
                          -
                          jakub
                          Last edited by jakub1; 10-22-2011, 02:19 AM.
                          my projects so far:

Travail retextured ___/___ Knave HD textures
                          Tronyn in high definiton ___/___Abyss of Pandemonium HD textures
                          Nehahra rtlights and other experiments

Comment

Well, after seeing this thread I decided to setup Unreal and UT Tournament with oldskool ampd. Along with the high res textures etc. Took awhile to find everything, like the bonus packs for UT. The packs I found were umods so I had to get a umod unpacker type program because i kept getting a general protection fault running the umod. Brings back some good memories. :-)
                            Last edited by sb306; 10-26-2011, 09:45 PM.
                            If you see 427 playing Quake thats me.

Comment

This was the first game I bought myself. Never finished it, though, and I have lost the CD. The box is still somewhere--I recall quote from Finnish gaming magazine which said something like: "Finally intelligent monsters!" Personally I wasn't impressed by Unreal creatures as much as by the Quake ones, what I remember from this game best was the continuity between levels, and the strong atmosphere. Unlike Quake levels which are just extradimensional realms after another (which is fine itself, of course), Unreal levels presented believable new world, in which the player explored the unknown regions.

I should try it again!

Unreal Tournament was one I played more, even though I had only demo version with 6 maps or so. But it was great to smash some bots. I especially remember the smooth graphics and great controls that were smooth as well. Not to mention the level with super high-rises heading up to outer space, it impressed me and I remember how I thought how interesting it would be live in such apartments. . . As a game level it was my less favourite, however.
                              Last edited by Miihkali; 10-27-2011, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X