"DP Pretty Water" Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @NightFright,
    Seven is right. You can use this shader with your DP build.
    Last edited by webangel; 02-21-2012, 09:26 AM.

Comment

• Hi,
      today I have played with the water shader AGAIN..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqK35G9RbN8&context=C4721e97ADvjVQa1PpcFP0 7zwO2-zszqDCzr285oDpuGPEiogJiH0=]Quake Water - YouTube[/ame]
      [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7FtwfbXpL0&context=C4fe9dcaADvjVQa1PpcFP0 7zwO2-zszl3ies1xJfWC9JzBAJp2SH4=]Quake water2 - YouTube[/ame]

Please try it in game!
      I hope someone like it...

Download:
      Download zz_WA_Prettywater_DDS.pk3 from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Comment

• Originally posted by Magnus
        Apology accepted.

Comment

• this works with only old builds of darkplaces...this is not a good thing.

it looks like the pics above with no offsetmapping...with it on for me, it looks much worse.

i made a shader with water scroll months ago, to me it looks much more natural than this...it also uses dp_reflect with easily better performance...my water always works with the current build.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanstar View Post
            this works with only old builds of darkplaces...this is not a good thing.

it looks like the pics above with no offsetmapping...with it on for me, it looks much worse.

i made a shader with water scroll months ago, to me it looks much more natural than this...it also uses dp_reflect with easily better performance...my water always works with the current build.
            Hi Sean,
            If you donīt like it please donīt use it...

Regards w@
            Last edited by webangel; 04-14-2012, 05:16 PM.

Comment

• looks awesome webangel, i love it!

the water seems to move a lot more natural and realistic now compared to last version

would be cool if you'd make a bit more dirty looking version of it too, it still looks kinda glass-like

looks real awesome too as it is too though, i love it
              Last edited by talisa; 04-14-2012, 04:38 PM.
              are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
              > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
              everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Originally posted by splitterface View Post
                looks awesome webangel, i love it!

the water seems to move a lot more natural and realistic now compared to last version

only wish you'd make it look a bit more dirty, it still looks kinda glass-like

looks real awesome too as it is too though, i love it
                Thank you Splitterface. I try to make it dirtier in the next version

Comment

• welcome webangel.

cant wait to see updates to it. you really make amazing looking water
                  are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                  > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                  everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

this works with only old builds of darkplaces...this is not a good thing.

you may have made it but you haven't shared AFAIK, so that negates whatever it is you made. For now until you offer an alternative, I'm downloading this. (as per jareds suggestion to not be lazy,take long time FOK)
                    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

• Hello webangel,

Thank you for developing the water further and further.
                      I have not much more to say, compared to my statement some weeks ago.

You are doing a great job in implementing Blood Omnicideīs water into Quake !

This is really the best looking water to use.

The only thing I personally see room for improvement in are the refraction values.
                      Distortion is (in my personal opinion !) a bit too much.

You already made the water darker in your actual release.
                      That is good to see. Be careful to not make it too dark.
                      (though I know your liking in dark things ).

It is good to see you working on Quake again.

Best wishes,
                      Seven

Comment

• Hi

I couldn't get over how turtlevans pics looked different than the water I tested...those are z87 water textures.

here is a sceen I just made of w@ water on dm2

offset or not, it looks the same.

W@ i can take honest criticism...anytime, just don't lie or be unnecessarily rude
                        in the comment, or i will say something back.

Sean

Comment

• Hello,

I am new here! Ok so I just installed the dp_water v0.51 and my problems is the FPS drop, its quite significant! Where before I was getting 70-80fps, after the dp_water I'm getting 20-30fps!! Its just not playable/enjoyable with that...I even tried the cvars all they way down to "0.2" and even just to check tried "1" and there is absolutely no fps difference!! Does any1 have any solution to improve fps??
                          Oh yeah, and forgot to mention, I'm using Radeon 6970 2GB...and I saw someone post a few months back(page 13) that they were using a Radeon 6850 was experiencing the same fps drop as me but none on NVidia cards!
                          Also, it doesn't look that pretty, just a few reflections and dirty, I guess that's how it was meant to be in v0.51, but the videos on first post look different...water looks more clear and better reflections!
                          Last edited by lucky88shp; 04-15-2012, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• the fps drop is a well known issue, and I haven't heard of nvidia hardware being immune to it.

I am recently re fiddling with darkplaces, so once I reach a point of thinking I know something I will offer input

So far my attempt was failsauce but im still optimistic
                            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

• @Mindf!3ldzX
                              Ok but do you know if the file posted in post #1 supposed to make the water look dirtier?
                              I mean how can I make it look a little more reflective and better? Well, what are you using for your water textures?
                              thanx for your reply and nice avatar! LOL

Comment

Hi

I couldn't get over how turtlevans pics looked different than the water I tested...those are z87 water textures.

here is a sceen I just made of w@ water on dm2

offset or not, it looks the same.

W@ i can take honest criticism...anytime, just don't lie or be unnecessarily rude
                                in the comment, or i will say something back.

Sean
                                Hello Sean,
                                donīt tell me a liar!

I understand:
                                "Your water" shader is the the Holy Grail for the quake community - sorry that I have a other understanding - shame over me...
                                I canīt know your problems. Do you try to compensate something...
                                Of course....... That is the reason why you rescale screenshots or do r_water_0 to your screenshots here...

BTW: Sorry but this is the first time that I be "rude" on this forum
                                Last edited by webangel; 04-15-2012, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X