Craziness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craziness

Disclaimer only do the following if you are completely willing to buy a new gfx card.

So, I was playing Quake tonight and my screen froze up. Sound was stuck everything just locked up. I had to hard boot it. Trying to reboot, my screen had green lines, and wiggles blocks etc. But the system got atleast to the cmos screen. Safe mode worked and so I knew the hd was intact.

After searching google (in safemode 640x480 res covered with green line noise) I found a fix to my ailing 8800gt. They suggested BAKING it in the oven at 385 degrees for 8-10 minutes. WTF?!?!!!!?
    I removed the back screws to take off the dustplate/fan housing; disconnecting the fan cable. Wadded up four balls of aluminum foil and set the card GPU side up on a cookie sheet. Of course I was thinking either this thing is gonna melt or catch fire. So I just sat there looking thru the window the whole time. MMM the smell of caustic gases! Well. Actually, it worked! I'm using the card right now. The reason for the green lines and inability to boot at high res was do to fissures in soldering connections that once heated up will melt back into place. Crazy shit! How long this card will behave now im not sure. But had this not of worked I was prepared to go buy a new gfx card this afternoon.

Maybe I shouldnt run my game at 504 fps for hours on end?
    Last edited by R00k; 01-09-2011, 05:04 AM.
    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Thank you R00k.

This sounds extreme, but glad it helped you.
    Some colleagues of mine had the same lines and behaviour as their cards died.
    If I knew that trick before, we could have maybe saved them.

Does your gfx fan makes strange noise now ?
    Its "wings" might be bended differently now

Maybe this also works for the CPU, if you overclocked it to hard...

Regards,
    Seven

Comment

Pretty good trick. Did you know you could cleanse PC keyboards by putting them into the dishwasher? Only the old mechanical switch ones though. I did it a couple times.

(Do that at your own risk.)
      Scout's Journey
      Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

I baked a 8600GTS once and it worked flawless for the next 2 months.
        Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

i heard about baking gpu card many times in the past, but i have always thought it was just an urban legend :-)
          -
          it really works? i guess you need some special oven though.
          my projects so far:

Travail retextured ___/___ Knave HD textures
          Tronyn in high definiton ___/___Abyss of Pandemonium HD textures
          Nehahra rtlights and other experiments

Comment

Ever heard of squeezing another 1ghz out of your CPU(s) by bending the CPU pins into the form of a smiley face? (This is false).

Ya thats pretty extreme R00k, it reminds me a few weeks back when I overheated my secondary Xbox360 by removing the internal vent fan and wrapping it in a beach towel for about 20 minutes (Prior to towel'ing it I disassembled it and added arctic silver to the CPU/GPU heatsinks, removed the stock X-clamps and created my own solution for the x-clamps(good old bolts'n'nuts). Needless to say, after 20 minutes of letting it run without a fan and a towel around all the console I replaced everything and turned it back on and to my surprise it played GTA IV for a constant 6 hours while I was out in the city.

It had something to dew with solder points getting weak from the insufficient cooling solution from the first-gen of Xbox360 consoles (Thanks M$!)

Its still going strong today and its been placed in my bedroom as the "Yea brah I got 2 Xbox360s" bragbox360
            QuakeOne.com
            Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
            Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
            Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Never try this with a toaster oven, the temps are really whacky in toaster ovens. I could not revive a dead GF6800Gt or a dying GF6600GT with this method. On that note, anyone looking for a dead leadtek 6800gt or dead msi 6600gt?
              It Takes A Tough Man To Make A Tender Rocketjump

Comment

I don't have anything meaningful to add to this thread, but I admit this thread is a bit crazy ... I never would have thought of any of this.
                Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I've seen people doing this on Techpowerup. My uncle has a fucked 8800GTX I wouldn't mind boogering around with, but he won't let me have it for some reason.
                  e|------------------------0---------------
                  B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                  G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                  D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                  A|---------------0------------------------
                  E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X