Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake 1 custom episodes & weapon mods

Hey guys,

So I've just recently gotten back into quake after, what, nearly a 10 year hiatus, and I've noticed there's quite a lot of good stuff around. I've managed to find updated versions of travail and beyond belief and those episodes are truly stellar..I wonder if any other big packs like insomnia have been updated with the latest darkplaces engine, though? So far I've only found those two, through the "epsilon quake" package, along with another one called myths. So yeah, are there more remakes of the old classic maps around?

2nd question - I've kinda gotten mighty bored of the old quake arsenal but am looking for something fitting to expand it, rather than something ridiculous adding 50+ new weapons and god like powers and whatnot. What mod would you recommend? Are there even mods around in the vein of the stuff that's around for gzdoom - adding new monsters, modifying original monster behaviour and adding/modifying the original guns BUT for the original quake & mission pack maps? So far I've found a q2 weapons mod and one that changes all the weapons' behaviours slightly.. are there any more? Such as a mod that would add all of the mission pack weapons to the base quake maps?

Thanks in advance

I can't believe I am doing this but try the remakequake demos. They work with the original maps and change weapons, gameplay etc quite a lot. I hate it but you might be looking for exactly that. Also comes with its own fancy engine.
    Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

It must be a weird time of year that makes us agree in TWO threads recently. Or maybe we're just getting old.

Link: Downloads | The Realm of Blog Magic

Indeed that mod works with vanilla Quake and replaces some monsters with modded versions (nail grunts, axe grunts, dual chainsaw ogres etc). The weapons are also changed quite a bit to resemble something like Quake 2's weapon balance.

The mod has a railgun, chainsaw and other weapons that you might probably get by using Impulse 9.

As far as remakes of old maps go, both Than and negke have made very good ones (dm3rmx, and if I'm correct dm5rmx and dm7rmx, but I'm not entirely up to date on that.) There is also a good e4m4 remake by ijed. Furthermore, there is Sock's mod "In the Shadows" which seems to be somewhat based on original Quake maps, although again I'm not fully up to date there. And there is "The Slipgate Duplex" by CZG and Vondur, an e1m1 remake, as well as several maps by Kell (episode 1 map remakes).

The RMQ mod contains quite a few map remakes as well, but apparently those are a love or hate kind of thing. They are very liberal, in other words. Artistic license! ;-)
      Scout's Journey
      Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Cool, thanks guys, been checking out remakequake, and it's certainly.. different, but kinda cool too. Has a few issues with DP or custom textures that I have, dunno what it is, but most maps are playable enough, with just some odd ghostly/translucent textures/models here and there.

Seems nobody has ever really done a mod to expand quake's arsenal and add new baddies to the original campaigns and that sort of stuff.. also seems like there aren't really any more big map packs utilizing the fantastic new community textures and models, so the choice there is either play old map packs in old quake style or make do with the few that were ported in the quake epsilon pack. Ah well, better than nothing, I guess, would be great if someone did a HD remake of something like Nehahra one day, though..

Oh yeah, been keeping an eye on In the Shadows mod, looks precisely like what I'd hope for from a new gen quake mod.. fantastic gfx, new enemies, mechanics, weapons.. brilliant.. the only issue is waiting for it to be done

Comment

Originally posted by EbonKnight View Post
          I wonder if any other big packs like insomnia have been updated with the latest darkplaces engine, though? So far I've only found those two, through the "epsilon quake" package, along with another one called myths. So yeah, are there more remakes of the old classic maps around?
          Hello EbonKnight,

ALL maps (yes all maps and episodes !) use the replacement contents from your ID1 folder. You should not believe that you need something called "Epsilon" in order to play maps with replacement content.

If you are looking for new map packs, I suggest to browse through Quaddicted īs archive. You will find hundreds of them there.
          They all make use of the replacement contents in your ID1 folder.
          You will also find many suggestions in the "single player" forum here.

Such as a mod that would add all of the mission pack weapons to the base quake maps?
          If you want this, you can always start Mission pack 1 or 2 and type "map e1m1" into console. Then you will play through orignal Quake with the mission pack weapons. Just give them to yourself via impulse cheat.

Seems nobody has ever really done a mod to expand quake's arsenal and add new baddies to the original campaigns and that sort of stuff..
          The opposite is the case.
          Please vist Chipīs homepage with an archive of many many mods, that do just this.
          And there is always the "small mod compilation", which is maybe worth a try. It adds several new monsters to Quake as well.

also seems like there aren't really any more big map packs utilizing the fantastic new community textures and models, so the choice there is either play old map packs in old quake style or make do with the few that were ported in the quake epsilon pack.
          Again, this word: "Epsilon".
          Nobody ported any maps for Epsilon! The person behind the Epsilon compilation pretends that only his compilation is able to play fan-made-maps in the "fancy" way. You should quickly forget about this, as it is not true.

The person, that simply put together all the available files from quakeone.com and called it Epsilon has been pushed out of this forum, as his behavior was disrespectful towards many authors.
          The Epsilon compilation uses rather old and buggy contents and there are other compilations available, which are updated frequently and have better/more content.

In the end, you should know that if you visit quakeone.com (as you already do), you have access to all the content (in newer form) that is used in the "Epsilon" compilation.
          Using this content and playing any map or episode, gives you the visual, that you seem to want in your Quake.

There are many ways to play Quake today. If you want your Quake to look High Res and use fancy effects, you can do it.
          It doesn’t matter how you want your Quake to be, quakeone.com has all files (or links to these files) you need.
          People in this forum will help and guide you if you have any questions…

Have fun with your Quake.

Best regards,
          Seven.

Comment

Ah, wow, that was incredibly informative Seven, thanks! Sorry, like I said I'm not really up to date with what's been happening in the quake community for the past decade, really.
            I guess I was just underwhelmed with Insomnia's visuals even with my id1 folder full, because it, I guess, uses it's own custom textures and even models that don't have valid replacements in the id1 folder. Yeah, I have definitely left behind the whole epsilon thing and decided to look for content myself, and while more tedious, it's proving to be a better idea after all.

Thanks again for a hugely helpful reply

Comment

Please keep in mind that Insomnia was built without fan-made art replacements in mind. It looked and looks spectacular if you play it in standard Quake. In my opinion all the fan-made addons just create a incoherent, cheesy and by extension ugly mix...

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
                Please keep in mind that Insomnia was built without fan-made art replacements in mind. It looked and looks spectacular if you play it in standard Quake. In my opinion all the fan-made addons just create a incoherent, cheesy and by extension ugly mix...
                i wouldn't call nehahra, soul of evil, rapture or operation: urth majik incoherent and ugly.
                my projects so far:

Travail retextured ___/___ Knave HD textures
                Tronyn in high definiton ___/___Abyss of Pandemonium HD textures
                Nehahra rtlights and other experiments

Comment

Not so sure about Nehahra.
                  Scout's Journey
                  Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
                    careful golden_boy... that's a blasphemy
                    my projects so far:

Travail retextured ___/___ Knave HD textures
                    Tronyn in high definiton ___/___Abyss of Pandemonium HD textures
                    Nehahra rtlights and other experiments

Comment

I know
                      Scout's Journey
                      Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by jakub1 View Post
                        i wouldn't call nehahra, soul of evil, rapture or operation: urth majik incoherent and ugly.
                        You completely misunderstood what I was saying. I was talking about textures, skins, models, sounds etc that people force onto existing content. Stuff like the flying keyhole vagina in blue lit glossy stone wallorama. :\

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
                          mmm nehahra is too hard for me, so itīs boring
                          the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

my prefered addon for quake
                            Lets Play: Quake: Abyss of Pandemonium - 01 - A New Hell - YouTube
                            the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

Originally posted by nahuel View Post
                              mmm nehahra is too hard for me, so itīs boring
                              If it's the side-strafing monsters, then set nomonsters 1

Comment

Working...
                              X