No announcement yet.

"DP New-Lava" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The entire water surface belongs to the same brush. It is not in any way cut by the mapper. It is, however, cut by QBSP, into triangles that can be displayed in the engine.

There are several weird cuts in the water surface around that pillar. This could be what upsets your shader. If so, it is rooted in the original map's brushwork.

There are quite simply limits to how much you can do with shaders and textures. Eventually, you would have to solve the underlying problems. That would mean rebuilding the entire set of maps while keeping all this in mind.

Same water and same pillar in RemakeQuake (map rebuilt from scratch):

More regular cuts.

Most of the water in the original e1m2 is ONE BRUSH that runs through the entire map, crossing all walls. The water at the yellow armour is the same brush as the one near the SSG. Only the water at the start is a separate brush, I believe.

Lazy mapping.
    Scout's Journey
    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Thank you very much gb !

Your explanation now proofs, that the "cutted" texture problem in some places is
      because of the "lazy mapping" (as you described it).
      Unfortunately I cannot do anything against it cause its in the ID1 maps.

So big sine waves in z-direction is a no-go.

For our "DP New-Lava" project this is anyway not interesting,
      because lava doesnt behave this way (waves in z-direction).
      Its a pity for "DP Pretty water" though.
      I implemented it in "DP new Teleport". Here it has no texture issues,
      because teleporter texture are always correct and have no visual issues.
      (I didnt release the updated New-Teleporter pack yet. If anyone is interested, let me know)

Now back to our Lava project:
      So far we have good scaled and nice looking textures.
      The movement is in my opinion also quite good.
      Last edited by Seven; 11-02-2010, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Man this looks so good in game, makes the lava finally look alive. Even the illusion that the lave is coming up... amazing! I simply love it. And i agree with ikub0, that hot air distortion will make it even more dope. I am sure that is possible after i've seen the effectinfo's from you guys.

Thanks (again) a lot Seven for the hard work, i'm looking forward to what you come up next.
        FPS Source Ports

Comment

Eh, for some reason this isn't working for me. All that's happening is the lava being replaced by a pure white texture. I followed the instructions exactly; place the PK3 in QUAKE\ID1\. The pretty water addon works fine.

The effects look great in those screenshots.
          Last edited by ChronoSeth; 11-07-2010, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Hello ChronoSeth,

I tried to simulate your problem, but couldnt.

May I suggest the following:
            - Use latest beta build from DP: klick
            - Please try to use my config.cfg temporary in your ID1 folder
            (find it here)

Hope I could help a bit.
            Seven

Comment

Thanks seven, the Beta build allows it to work.

I must say, these liquid effects make Darkplaces look more beautiful than I thought possible.

Comment

lava heat haze effect and some other thougts

seven asked me to join this discussion and so i do.
                -
                transparency - i'm absolutely convinced that lava shouldn't be transparent, not even slightly. i know that quake world has nothing to do with reality and that's why i like it. however, transparent lava is nonsence even in the quake realms.
                -
                heat haze effect - darplaces uses part of the q3 shader system and there's no heat haze effect in stock q3 arena engine - i went through the shaders script manual linked here by seven as well as through some other sources and there's no sign of heat haze in q3a. as far as i know, dp supports only part of q3a shaders and we can't create heat haze effect for q1 simply by adding shader to the lava texture. if q3a engine (and dp possibly) can or can't handle heathaze effect is different question. developers of overdose driven by highly modified q3a engine somehow managed to implement heathaze into their engine. the only solution i see with current functionalities of dp is to place extra nonsolid brush above lava, use completely transparent texture for this brush and then apply some shader already supported by dp for this texture to emulate some distortion effect. this is, of course, useless for finished maps...
                -
                jakub
                Last edited by jakub1; 11-08-2010, 05:49 AM.
                my projects so far:

Travail retextured ___/___ Knave HD textures
                Tronyn in high definiton ___/___Abyss of Pandemonium HD textures
                Nehahra rtlights and other experiments

Comment

but does this means "change the original maps" ? mmmm
                  Ia! Ia! Shubb Niggurath!

"Not dead is what forever can wait" (HPL)

Comment

exactly :-)
                    -
                    but i'm not a coder... so maybe there's another way. i had another idea - imagine hell knight holding red hot glowing sword with heathaze effect around it... it would be real quake.
                    my projects so far:

Comment

Thank you jakub for joining and posting.

I came to the same result as you, during reading/learning the Q3A shader manual:
                      There is no shader without a brush.
                      And heat effect is in my (very poor experienced) opinion not possible in Q1.

I would be more than happy if someone proves I am wrong.

Until then, the pk3 we have at the moment is the best thing I could do...
                      But I guess jakub is capable to enhance it

Kind Regards,
                      Seven

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                        But I guess jakub is capable to enhance it
                        -
                        maybe yes, but definitely not with my current pc. it's hardly capable of runing dp + pretty water at reasonable framrate and any further shader effect makes my old rig cry... any serious testing/tweaking is out of the question right now. :-)
                        -
                        i wish i would understand more to the shader script language. i found qc some tutorials and now i even more admire people who makes mods...
                        my projects so far:

Comment

This is absolutely superb! My only recomendation is to maybe slow down the bending and twisting effect, and make the surface more orangy-yellowy (most molten liquids have a yellowy glow).

On a radical note; (really radical- I doubt even Darkplaces would have this coding) is it possible to extend that strange foggy blue glow effect on all the blue lights in E1m6 (door to Chthon)- and make a yellow version to apply on top of all the lava textures (make it yellow or orange obviously)- maybe have it bend and twist slowly with the lava?

Or possibly some kind of murky or fog effect above the lava surfaces (to give the illusion of sulfuric smog pouring into the room)?
                          Check out my awesome Deviant art page!
                          Quake fanart (obviously included)!

http://harry-the-fox.deviantart.com/

Comment

maybe heat distortion or solfurous smoke is possible with some lines of code in DP engine... I think LordHavoc can help us...
                            Ia! Ia! Shubb Niggurath!

"Not dead is what forever can wait" (HPL)

Comment

Woohw look at this.

These beautiful shaders are possible in FTE Quake.
                              I am stil trying to find a way to integrate them into DP...

Kind Regards,
                              Seven

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                                Woohw look at this.

These beautiful shaders are possible in FTE Quake.
                                I am stil trying to find a way to integrate them into DP...

Kind Regards,
                                Seven

Wow. That looks amazing!
                                If you see 427 playing Quake thats me.

Comment

Working...
                                X